Technology Start-up Support Scheme for Universities (TSSSU Scheme)
Technology Start-up Support Scheme for Universities (TSSSU Scheme) 2024-25
TSSSU aims to support CUHK professors, students and alumni to transform their research output into a real business. With the TSSSU funding and dedicated support by ORKTS, CUHK members can focus more on the commercialization of technology and innovation of the University.
The Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC) of the Hong Kong SAR Government has set up the Technology Start-up Support Scheme for Universities (TSSSU) to encourage students, professors, and alumni from the six local universities, including CUHK, to start their own technology companies to commercialize R&D results.
From 2023-24 onwards, TSSSU comprises TSSSU-O and TSSSU+. TSSSU-O is the original component of the scheme which provides funding support to start-ups to commercialize the R&D results and innovative ideas. TSSSU+ is an enhancement measure to provide dollar-to-dollar matching funds* to start-ups which have demonstrated good growth potential through securing investment from private sector.
What will TSSSU Scheme give you?
- (Successful TSSSU-O applicants) may receive up to HK$ 700,000 funding per year in 2024-25 for potentially up to three years
- (Successful TSSSU+ applicants) may receive up to HK$ 1,500,000 matching fund per year in 2024-25 for potentially up to three years
Business and Technical Support
- Potential to join HKSTP’s Incubation Programme*
- Access to potential investors and industry partners
- Mentorship from experienced entrepreneurship consultant
*Subject to conditions
Eligibility of Person-in-Charge (PIC)
- Current Full-time Students (either UG or PG), or
- Current Full-time Professors, or
- Alumni graduated within the last 36 months, unless the alumnus/alumna is an awardee of the last round of TSSSU
- For TSSSU-O and TSSSU+ applications, preference will be given to those using CUHK-related technology. If the technology has not yet filled IP under CUHK at the time of application, the applicant is highly recommended to submit an Invention Disclosure Form or a Copy Disclosure Form and Assignment to ORKTS IP and Technology Licensing Team before the application deadline. For enquiries related to the completion of Copyright Disclosure Form, please contact ORKTS IP and Technology Licensing Team (Ms. Fei Fei MIU at 3943-9398/ firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The technology involved in the application must reach the required Technology Readiness Level (TRL). Physical Science Engineering technology must reach TRL 4 or above and HealthCare technology must reach TRL 3 or above#
- The number of members of the Company must be at least two including the eligible applicant. For the applicant(s) under TSSSU-O, active members of CUHK should be the effective majority of shareholders of the Company. For the applicant under TSSSU+, CUHK reserves the final decision right on the effective majority of shareholders for the CUHK active members.
# IPI Technology Readiness Level (TRL) Reference Table (PDF)
- The applicant can apply for TSSSU+ directly if it has secured private investment. However, after successfully obtained funding under TSSSU+, it cannot revert to apply for TSSSU-O.
- The applicant cannot apply for TSSSU-O and TSSSU+ simultaneously during the same funding year.
Application Deadline: 17 Nov 2023 (Fri), 5pm^
^The applicant must submit the online application. After complete the online application, a signed application form, with endorsement and supporting documents as listed in Section C of Annex A in hard copy, must be submitted in person to ORKTS at Unit 1A, 1/F, InnoPort, The Inter-University Hall by 5:00pm on Friday, 17 Nov 2023.
Important Documents & Application
Application Guidelines (PDF, 2024-25 version)
Online Application (Apply Now) [Compulsory]
ITC Guidelines (TSSSU_Guidelines_2023.pdf, 2023 version)
ITC TSSSU FAQ(PDF, 2023 version)
Business Proposal Guidelines (PDF, for Reference)
TSSSU Information Session (PDF)
TSSSU HR Related Matters (Video Guides)
TSSSU 2024-25 application timeline
|1||Call for Application||22 Sept 2023 (Fri)|
|2||Information Session for TSSSU||6 Oct 2023 (Fri) 4:00pm-5:30pm|
|3||Application Deadline||17 Nov 2023(Fri) by 5pm|
|4||Interview for selected teams||7 - 8 Dec 2023 (Thurs to Fri) (TBC)|
|5||Announcement of results||First week of Jan 2024|